julianmeynell

Julian Meynell's Books

I like Books.

Collins' Mockingjay

Mockingjay - Collins Suzanne

Mockingjay is the third and last in the Hunger Games trilogy.  I think it is a little better than the second book, but not as good as the third book.  In the whole series there is not an original idea and the book draws heavily on earlier dystopian teen fiction.  However, the execution is pretty good.  Collins is especially good at media manipulation and she explores that from both the perspective of the government and the rebels in this book.  She is also good at not making everything work out perfectly.  While the ending of the book is generally a happy one, there is a lot of tragedy and loss along the way.  If anything there is more in this book than in the previous two.  You have to admire her in her willingness to depict this.  She also has a lot to say about trauma.  I found the depiction of a traumatized and brainwashed Peeta quite convincing, however Collin's misses the boat when depicting Katniss' trauma.  Overall, the trilogy is better than one has any right to expect for a series that has been this popular.  Collins is a good, but not great writer of teen fiction and this book is worth reading, although not worth worshipping.