julianmeynell

Julian Meynell's Books

I like Books.

Love in the Time of Cholera

Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel García Márquez, Edith Grossman A lovely book. With a rich language that demands to be sipped and read slowly. Not quite as good as One Hundred Years of Solitude. Garcia Marquez may be the greatest living writer.

Elements of the book, like the death scene with the parrot or the boat trip between the lovers, are beautifully realized. Marquez is all about a sense of mood and he combines keen insights into human behaviour with a dreamy fantastic quality.

It is one of the few books I have read written in the last 40 years that have anything interesting or new to say about love.

Update: Certain books continue to grow in your imagination after you read them. This is one of those books for me. I originally rated it four stars, but kept thinking about it and wondered whether I should up it to five stars. Last night, I dreamt about it. That was the last straw for me and I upped it to five stars. I'm still not quite sure what to say about it and what I really think about it, but it is really very good.