julianmeynell

Julian Meynell's Books

I like Books.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon A good book told through the eyes of a teenage boy with aspergers syndrome. Haddon manages to inhabit the mental space of the boy perfectly. The book changes its character and goes off in another, and what I thought was a better, direction at the midway point.

Many scenes are well realized the book is well done and very readable. Not a brilliant masterpiece or anything like that, but it rises above what could be a gimmick. In the end though, I don't think it will be one of those books that I end up thinking about a lot and that is why it is not rated more highly.

I think that the book will especially appeal to the kind of reader who thinks that To Kill A Mockingbird is the best book ever written. The book is trying to humanize the autistic, so others can understand their struggle. The book is in the Uncle Tom's Cabin tradition. I myself like it when books deal with these kinds of issues in more complex ways. I think Invisible Man is a much better book than Mockingbird, for instance. But the book does what it is trying to do well.