julianmeynell

Julian Meynell's Books

I like Books.

Their Eyes Were Watching God

Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston This is a story of a woman who marries three different men and slowly finds her voice over the course of the novel. It is rally a work of feminist literature informed by its black context rather than the other way around. I guess this led to rejection of the book by other black writers of the time in that it did not focus on the oppression of blacks enough. That of course is a wrong headed criticism, and I recognize the important historical role of the novel and its influence on later writers.

However, I just don't think that it is a marvellous novel. It's fine and suffers from no great flaws. The characters are sort of interesting and sort of drawn well There are some good scenes, notably the hurricane scene. The writing is fine. It's all fine, but its not really amazing anywhere. I find that I don't have much to say about it good or bad. Its a perfectly satisfactory read, but I can't imagine that I won't have forgotten much of it in a little while.